Sunday, March 25, 2012

Veggie of the Month: Brussels Sprouts!

Brussels Sprouts in general always had the bad reputation for the worst flavored and foul smelled vegetable for kids.  When my mom made brussels sprouts for the first time for dinner, I was disgusted.  I don't remember how she made them, but I know I didn't like the taste nor the smell.  I told myself that I will never eat them ever again.

24 years later, I saw packaged brussels sprouts at Trader Joes and decided to buy them.  Ever since I have been with my husband (almost 11 years), I have tried many different things.  Ducks tongue, Tripe (cows stomach lining), 100 year old egg and many other Chinese delicacies.  I have eaten worst things imaginable, so I wanted to give this infamously unloved vegetable another chance.

My husband probably made it just how my mom did years ago for me.  It was steamed and lightly salted. He also cut them in halves, so it will be easier for the kids to eat.  Oh my goodness, how I love thee, let me count thee ways:

1) Antioxidants  
2) Rich in Vitamin K   
3) May Prevent Cancer   
4) Rich in Vitamin C  
5) High in Fiber  
6) Low in Calories 
7) High in Potassium
8) High in PROTEIN


Add caption
I know as an adult, my taste buds has matured dramatically.  I know this because I ate the brussels sprouts like popcorn.  I just couldn't stop eating them, it was not a pretty sight.  I think it tastes better when its been sitting out for few hours and in room temperature. Why? Because when I actually got the urge to put the leftover dinner away. It was 3 hours after dinner and I kept eating the little suckers like Pringles ("Once you pop, the fun don't stop"). At the end of clean up, there was no brussels sprouts to put away.  

I am excited about my rediscovery of brussels sprouts and I think I will stock more of this vegetable more often. My kids who are 6 and 1 ate couple of them and didn't spit them out.  They are not picky in eating vegetables, so I am pretty lucky that they like brussels sprouts too.  I recommend kids dipping them in low fat mayonnaise for extra flavor and calories.

9 comments:

  1. I've never had brussel sprouts before, but BECAUSE of all these negative reactions, it makes me WANT to try it! Haha, like durian too! I like being adventurous w/ my food. I wish I had Andrew Zimmern's job. Haha~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hate durian...i only take a bite to make my in-laws happy. yuck. lol. Brussels sprouts tastes like baby cabbages or Chinese broccoli without plum sauce...:). i just think because i was a kid, it didn't taste good. wished i retried it sooner...but 24 years later is better than never:).

      Delete
  2. Lol! I LOVE brussel sprouts! My parents were really strict about eating vegetables when I was younger so I got accustomed to the taste pretty early.

    My favorite is when they're steamed and topped with light butter and black pepper! I might have to go out and get a bag to eat for lunch tomorrow!

    ♥ Duckie.

    http://frikkenduckie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad that my kids love their green vegetables...hope I dont have to fight with them to eat it when they get older...:). xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha i LOVE brussels! Love your blog :) If you like mine too maybe we can follow each other? I'd love if you visited! www.7wondersblog.net

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! please follow, ill follow back! ill comment on your current post as soon as i have more time to read it:).

      Delete
  6. I've given you another award! Check it here:

    http://frikkenduckie.blogspot.com/2012/04/tasty-tuesday-art-journaling-liebster.html

    And btw, I miss you! Get back to blogging!

    ♥ Duckie.

    http://frikkenduckie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girlfriend! i really don't know what to do with it! I know Ive been lagging on the blogging. ish. I have hella pictures but have writers block. Ill post something tonight...thanks for the encouragement!

      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for your fabulous comments! I check my comments all the time, so PLEASE do not to ask for a favor to follow each other, JUST follow me and I will definitely return the favor! Just leave your website or blog address, and Ill go check it out! Thank Again and Enjoy your time here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...